Apple today released the update to iOS 11, a new version of its mobile OS loaded with news. We’ll tell you how to update your compatible iPhone or iPad.
After the beta phase, Apple is preparing to officially release the update of its devices compatible with iOS 11, the new version of its mobile operating system. It is a major improvement over iOS 10, especially for the newly announced iPhone 8, 8 Plus and especially iPhone X, whose features are specially designed to work with iOS 11 news.
The update will reach Apple devices around the world throughout the day. It comes loaded with new features, especially in relation to face recognition Face ID and the augmented reality of ARKit, the company’s two firm bets for the future.
Before deciding whether to upgrade your iPhone or iPad to iOS 11, you should know if your device is compatible. Then, once you’ve verified that it is, it’s about knowing how the update is done. We assume that you are interested in testing the new features of the system, some of them never seen before.
These are Apple devices that support iOS 11
Apple have already published all the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch that will receive the latest update of iOS 11. Just in case, MsnTechBlog will mention each and every iOS devices here again.
- iPhone 5s
- iPhone SE
- iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone 6S
- iPhone 6S Plus
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPoud Touch 6th generation
- iPad Pro 12.9 inches (1st generation)
- iPad Pro 12.9 inches (2nd generation)
- 9.7 inch iPad Pro
- 10.5-Inch iPad Pro
- Fifth generation iPad
- iPad Air 2
- iPad Air
- iPad Mini 4
- iPad Mini 3
- iPad Mini 2
Check if yours is on the list and, if so, continue to the next step.
What’s New in the Update of iOS 11
We have already mentioned that the list of new functions that come with the OS update is long. Some of them, as usual, are minor and practically will not be noticed, although others add options and tools that until now simply did not exist.
To summarize briefly what the changes consist of, we have prepared a list of the most important ones for the user. The rest of iOS news can be consulted in our complete compilation.
- Face ID, only for the new iPhone: now you can unlock your mobile with the face instead of the fingerprint
- Animojis, also exclusive to the iPhone X: unless Apple says otherwise, the new animated icons do not reach the rest of the mobile phones in its catalog
- New control center, completely redesigned to make it more intuitive
- Messages, ready to take on iCloud: messages you send with the official Apple Messaging app will be stored in iCloud, accessible from any device
- Siri translates messages in real time: now Siri, besides assistant, is a simultaneous translator. Spanish, English, Italian, Chinese, German and French are the supported languages
- You can talk to Siri in writing, not necessarily with voice commands
- The iPhone camera will scan QR codes without the need for external applications
- One hand mode on the keyboard: a feature already available on Android, which allows you to group the keyboard on one side of the screen for convenience
- Record the screen directly from iOS 11: you no longer need other applications to capture your video screen. You can do it directly from iOS
- Shortcut for sharing and editing captures: now, when you take a screenshot, you can edit or share it directly from the notification without having to go to Spool
- The NFC iOS 11 and to work with other devices: Apple has finally decided that their phones and tablets connect with other devices via NFC (Near field communication)
- Changing typography of the system, which is now larger and thicker
- Twitter and Facebook no longer comes pre-installed
How to download and install iOS 11
If your iPhone or iPad is compatible with iOS 11, you will surely receive a notification that you have your update available. In any case, you can check it manually by going to Settings> General> Software Update. The normal thing is that in the Software Update tab you see the red dot indicating that you have something pending.
Just click on the update and select if you want to install iOS 11 on your iPhone now or later. The system may ask you for permission to populate the installation file by deleting other apps. Do not worry because, at the end of the update, these will be automatically reinstalled.
Keep in mind that, although according to the brand the download should last a half hour, if many users decide to upgrade simultaneously, this can be extended significantly. It all depends on the ability of servers to respond to high demand.
You want to read more similar articles like iOS 11 features and how to get the new iPhone update, you should visit MsnTechBlog category iOS.