I recently bought a new battery for my smartphone. After replacing it I have had serious problems with the accuracy of the load level value indicated in the status bar of my device. To solve the problem I had to calibrate the battery in the manner detailed in this article.
WHAT IS THE PROCESS OF CALIBRATING THE BATTERY?
Calibrating the battery is just a full charge cycle on our mobile device. This process, according to phone manufacturers, must be done with a periodicity of approximately 3 months.
BENEFITS THAT WE OBTAIN WHEN CALIBRATING THE BATTERY
Calibrating the battery will only provide a benefit. This benefit is that we can be sure that the load level indicated in the status bar of our mobile device is correct.
In this section it is important to highlight the following aspects:
- Calibrating the battery does not increase the battery life.
- Calibrating the battery does not repair a battery that is damaged. A battery that is damaged can never be repaired by software.
WHEN DO WE HAVE TO CALIBRATE THE BATTERY OF THE SMARTPHONE?
With the passage of time, the indicator of the level of charge of our phone or tablet may stop showing correct values. When this happens to us we find the following situations:
- Our mobile device shuts down before or long before the charge indicator reaches 0%.
- The load level drops very quickly and suddenly stays stabilized at% load for a long time.
- The charge level indicated by the phone is 100%, but really the charge is not 100%
- Our mobile device never finishes loading permanently.
Note: The symptoms described in this section may also be due to our battery being damaged. If our battery is damaged the calibration will not solve anything.
HOW TO CALIBRATE THE BATTERY OF OUR ANDROID OR IPHONE DEVICE ?
Contrary to what many people think, it is not necessary to use any type of application to calibrate the battery of our mobile device. To calibrate the battery just follow the following steps:
Use our device until the battery is completely depleted.
- Once the battery is exhausted, we allow 6 hours to pass without using it or charging it.
- Once the 6 hours have passed, we completely load the phone. The loading process has to be complete. To ensure that it is complete you can leave the device charging about 4 hours.
- Once the loading is finished, the calibration process has finished. At this time we can open our phone or tablet and make a completely normal use.
- The process described in points 1, 2, 3 and 4 must be repeated every 3 months approximately.
This procedure has not been invented by me. It is the procedure recommended by the after – sales service of LG smartphones.
Note: The calibration procedure shown in this section is valid for both iOS and Android devices.
Do not use applications to calibrate the battery
In stores like the Google Play Store, you will find many applications to calibrate the battery. I do not recommend that they use any of these applications.
It is not advisable to use an application for something that we can do ourselves manually. Some of the applications that claim to calibrate the battery are nothing more than malware that steals our data and violates our privacy.
In passing, I warn you not to use any application that promises to repair the phone’s battery. If a battery is damaged, it is impossible to repair it using the software. The only way to repair a damaged battery is to replace it with a new one.
WHY IS THE BATTERY ON OUR MOBILE DEVICE DIS-CALIBRATED?
We want or do not want; the battery is re-calibrated as we use our mobile device. The reason is the following:
The level of charge shown by our mobile devices is considering that the state of our battery is perfect. As we use the phone, our battery will progressively deteriorate and the more it deteriorates, the lower the accuracy of the load level indicated in the status bar.
By means of the calibration process that we have seen in this article, we will be able to calibrate the battery and get the load level indicated in the status bar to be reliable again.